Surrounded by Science! Schedule your Night Journey, a fun family sleepover at the EcoTarium!
Bring your family, students, scouts or youth group on a unique overnight adventure!
Designed expressly for groups of children ages 6-14, overnights at the EcoTarium are educational, interactive and FUN! You’ll enjoy a night of special programming and exploration tailored to a theme of your choice.
Choose your program theme:
- Crimes, Codes, & Clues – Solve a mystery using logic, careful observation, fingerprint analysis, and encryption! Now with two mysteries to choose from:
- Mystery 1: A Mysterious Letter – Our original mystery appropriate for groups smaller than 50.
- Mystery 2: Feline Forensics (New Theme!) – Our brand-new mystery for groups larger than 50, or groups who have already solved mystery 1.
- Engineering Design Challenge – Solve problems like an engineer! Prevent “brain” injuries by testing helmet designs and see how far your KEVA bridge can span before it collapses… then build it again!
- Ocean Life – Learn about life cycles, food chains, and adaptations under the sea as you dissect a squid, explore a whale, and meet some native tide pool creatures!
- Science after Dark – Play games with your night vision and learn how to walk like a fox, listen like a deer, and find pictures in the stars! Practice overcoming our human fear of the dark by taking a night hike on our grounds (weather permitting).
- Stars & Space – Zip around the solar system in our planetarium, explore Mars, and land your own probe on the red planet! Observe the constellations and, weather permitting, take a look through a telescope!
Planning Your Overnight
Night Journeys are offered from September through June to groups of 28 or more on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Thursday or Friday Overnight: From 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. Cost is $50 per person.
- Saturday Overnight: From 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m. Cost is $55 per person.
Listed prices apply to children and chaperones. At least one chaperone is required for every 5 children. Children must be age 6 or older to attend.
What to Expect:
- A variety of engaging science, nature, and live animal exhibits
- Special hands-on programming that explores your theme of choice
- A private digital planetarium show
- Sleeping on the museum floor among the exhibits
- An early morning: Wake up at 6:00 am
- An evening snack and continental breakfast
A Night Journey is an exciting way to experience what the EcoTarium is all about; however, since most of our time together is spent engaging in special themed programming, there is always much more to explore. Therefore, every overnight guest will receive a free return admission pass so that they may come back another day and continue to enjoy our extensive exhibits, animals, and grounds at their leisure.
You are welcome to use your return admission passes for the following museum day, but please be aware that you must exit the museum grounds at the conclusion of your overnight programming and re-enter museum grounds upon the start of our standard visitor day.
How to Book Your Overnight Program
First estimate your group size, consider some possible dates and explore our themes.
Then, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508.929.2703 to reserve your date at least one month in advance. A $150 non-refundable deposit is required at booking.
Once you’ve booked, notify us of your chosen theme and the final number of people in your group no later than one month prior to your overnight. Be sure to share the overnight information sheet with all chaperones.
Please understand that we may not be able to accommodate your change if the maximum capacity for the night has been reached.
Family Overnight at the EcoTarium
222 Harrington Way, Worcester MA 508-929-2700
Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from September through June
Cost: $50 General Public / $45 EcoTarium Members